This film Ragnarocked my world...

...And here are my Thor’ts on it.

THOR: RAGNAROK

4/5 - Exceeds expectations.

We’re right back at it again with another Marvel blockbuster, but this one takes quite a different route. In this post ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) where everyone has found the funny side of life, this new version of ‘Thor’ really hits the ol’ funny bone. However, as much as I enjoy a good comedy, does this really fit the Thor franchise?

Now I am going to do an incredibly brief summary as A LOT of things happen in this film and it would take forever to write it down; so here’s some main points:

We first join Thorn (Chris Hemsworth) chained up, having been imprisoned during a trip to find some shiny rocks (the infinity stones). He is told by Surtur, a giant, flaming, demon monster, that Ragnarok, which in case you are unsure means “the ending of all things”, is coming to Thor’s home planet Asgard, and it can’t be stopped. During Thor’s absence, Odin (AnthonUIKeyInputDownArrowy Hopkins) has been taken to Earth under a spell from Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and Thor decides they need to bring him home. This then gives us a cameo from Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), which even though it was brief, I bloody love (but I believe I suffer from Benedict bias). Essentially, Odin dies releasing the Thor’s sister, the Godess of Death, Hela (Cate Blanchett), from her prison, and the rest of the film is Thor trying to return to Asgard to stop Hela from causing Ragnarok. This proves difficult though as Thor gets stuck on an unknown planet, taken as a prisoner by the Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum) and forced to fight a battle against Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), who has taken over puny Bruce Banner and is currently stuck as the Hulk.

“But Taylor, how could he possibly get out of that?!” I hear you say, well, with a little help from some extra characters, for example, Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), a fallen warrior hailing from Asgard (who was the original captor of Thor on this new planet), and my favourite character in the whole world, Korg (Taika Waititi).

I just want to say one more time, A LOT happens and that summary doesn’t do it justice, but you need the basic idea and that’s it. Okay, now that’s out of the way, onto my opinion: I thought it was fantastic.

So it was directed by Taika Waititi (yes the guy who played the best character in the film, Korg), who if you are unfamiliar with has done things like Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Flight of the Concords and What We Do In The Shadows. He is bloody hilarious. He has a very dry, New Zealand humour which just had me in stitches the whole way through.

So as I’ve said a couple of times now, I thought this film was brilliant and hilarious. He had my sides splitting from start to finish and I loved the direction they went with the film. When I first saw the film, I wasn’t sure whether or not I liked it in context with the rest of the Marvel franchise, specifically the Thor franchise, because the film was essentially a comedy, which hasn’t previously been what Thor has focused on. HOWEVER, when I realised that they had intentionally brought in Waititi to change the direction of the what is now a trilogy, I chose to love it with all my heart. It has it’s flaws; a lot of the jokes fall a bit flat, they focus a little too much on the humour at points, but all in all I thought it was fantastic.

So, it is unfortunately now going out of cinemas, which means it’s probably gonna have to be a DVD film for most now. If you get a chance though, and haven’t seen it yet, then go check it out because you will not be disappointed!

But hey, at the end of the day, this is just one opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My feelings were Ebbing and flowing...

Billie Jean is not her lover...